Present: Elders Judy Etheridge, Bob Peacock, Charlotte Hornback, Rose Gorman, Jim Crutchfield, John T. Smith, Becky Bros; Moderator, Jeff Hosmer; Associate Pastor, Mike Smith; Church Administrator, Tom Ledoux.
Call to Order: Stated session meeting was convened in the Peace Room at 3:00 pm. A quorum was present. Moderator Jeff Hosmer opened with prayer and led the recitation of the Elder Covenant. Elder Jim Crutchfield led devotions.
Order of the Day:
- Motion made to receive and approve 2014 audit requested by Dennis Heasty was moved to accept by John T. Smith and seconded. Motion passed.
- Motion was made by Rose Gorman to approve 2016 payment of full apportionment of per capita to Presbytery, seconded by Becky Bros and passed unanimously.
- Minutes of Stated Session Meeting of November 17, 2015 approved as submitted and accepted by common consent.
- Motion made and seconded to approve the following changes to membership rolls:
These members joined the Church Triumphant:
- Ann Knight (11/16/15)
- Gayle Krumlauf (11/22/15)
- Betty Knott (11/22/15)
- Bob Purcell (12/6/15)
These members have requested to be transferred to another church and have been removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Karin Roosa (The Congregational Church in The Villages)
These members have moved out of state and have requested to be removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- George and Valerie Paul
These members have been reinstated:
- Jerry and Norma Van Norman (were put on inactive due to no participation but were added to active status – they have been ill -Jerry is not well)
These members were on our Affiliate Member roll and have asked to be removed from our roll:
- David and Sandy Sandwisch
Motion made by Rose Gorman to approve Becky Bros to officiate Communion at the PW Retreat February 25, 2016. Seconded and passed.
Motion made by Becky Bros for NLPC to begin process to form with a covenant a partnership with the church in Caibarien Cuba for 3 years and to be reviewed for renewal in 3 years. Seconded and passed.
Church Administrator’s Report by Tom Ledoux:
- A request will be going out with the year- end giving statements for updated information as membership directory will be online.
- Funeral policies are being updated.
- Tom will be retiring in mid- April.
Associate Pastor’s Report by Mike Smith:
- Calls to visitors are giving us good information as to what they are looking for in a church. The majority are looking for an over- all worship experience and good sermons.
Pastor’s Report by Jeff Hosmer:
- Thanks for a great staff party and having it catered was wonderful for our cooking staff.
- The dinners for staff were a great success and fun thanks to Bobbi and her hard work.
- Dan Baumann will be preaching Ash Wednesday.
- Holly Reimer will be preaching December 27th.
Financial Report by Tom Ledoux for Dennis Heasty:
- Financial position is in good shape.
Fellowship: Elder Judy Etheridge
- PW lunch to be held 12/17/15
- Patricia Sutton will be starting Yoga classes in January and will be on Thursdays.
Worship: Elder Rose Gorman
- Poinsettias will be delivered 12/17/15 at 9:30.
Ministry: Elder Charlotte Hornback (No report)
Administration: Elder John T. Smith (No report)
Youth and Children: Elder Jim Crutchfield
- Children’s Church averaging 23 per week for K-5
- Susan Burton to assume full responsibility on January 1, 2016
- Future curriculum will be focused on giving the children a firm foundation in the Bible and its messages.
- Laura Williams is coordinating an effort for the kids to recognize Judy Truscott for her years of leadership and love. Details TBD.
- Teen attendance vacillates and we are using a process to better capture and use those figures to grow the ministry.
- Pending a full understanding of the 2016 budget and confronted with many who come from disadvantaged homes, a number of fund-raisers are planned for scholarships to mission trips and bible retreats to include:
- Chick Fil-A: January 28, 5-7 p.m.
- Valentine Day: February 11, 5-8 p.m.
- Pancake Breakfast: February 20, 7 a.m. to noon
- Dining for Dollars (Longhorn Restaurant): March (date TBD)
- Special Activities:
- Christmas Break Retreat in North Georgia
- Stop the Hunger Mission w/Becky Bros
- Super Bowl Party at Pastor Mike’s
- Presbyterian New Horizons Beach Retreat (HS &MS): April 8-9
- Southwind Retreat (MS): April (date TBD)
- Summer Kick-off Party: May 22, 5-7 p.m.
- Christmas shop is tomorrow where kid’s buy presents (not for themselves) with Mike Dollars earned for doing good deeds and proper behavior.
- Susan Burton has officially assumed command.
- January 6 will be a planning meeting with parents and volunteers.
- January 13 will be the start of the new semester.
- Support of Children and Youth:
- As a Session, we ask that you actively seek those who might feel called to mentor, shepherd, transport, cook for, teach, supervise sports or otherwise assist in Children and/or Youth ministries. Our number are growing and we need dedicated help!
- Christmas Night @NLPC:
- 464 registered attendees:
- 200 associated with Little Blessings
- 123 church members
- 25 associated with LOGOS
- 111 who had no previous association with NLPC
- Several approached Pastor Mike enquiring about our services
- Most new people came as a result of passing out invitations as we marched in the Lady Lake and Leesburg Christmas parades.
- Costs of this community outreach are anticipated to be less than $2000.
- Next Christmas falls on Sunday: Come As You Are Pajama Sunday?
Pastoral Care: Elder Lynn Miller
- We are actively serving the congregation this Christmas Season. All our ministries are ready to assist those in need.
- Pastor Mike and I, as Pastoral Care Elde,r will be attending a ‘Soul Shop’ workshop on Suicidal Desperation on January 26, 2016. A report will follow after workshop.
- I am prayerfully considering requesting a name change to Pastoral Care. I would like to change name to ‘Congregational Care.’
Adult Discipleship: Elder Bob Peacock (No report)
Mission Outreach: Elder Becky Bros
- January – plans for the Wycliffe celebration are moving ahead nicely. All the churches in the area have received a note to save the date. We will have an insert the first Sunday in January. Newspaper ads will be paid for. At the end of the month I will start a notice in the bulletin for help that day.
- STOP HUNGER – beginning of January will be advertising more.
- Cuba – reasons we picked Caigbarien for partnership:
- Pastor Edelberto worked for government and knows how to push the limit.
- Prayer houses and gift of evangelism
- Kids of all ages love him and youth respect him and he isn’t afraid to talk to them about life, sex, etc. and has rooms to take the youth.
- Wants to expand food lunch program
- The neighborhood knows him and the elders
- Our partnership right now with the church is prayer.
- FAB in March will be Cuba Night - Mercedes will be coming to see our church.
- The plans will be to involve the whole church. We have the children making coloring books for Mercedes to take back. We want to start a mission trip for the Youth in about a year.
- We will be helping with plumbing needs and mattresses, if possible.
Motion was made by Jim Crutchfield to close with prayer which was seconded and passed.
Closing prayer was led by Rose Gorman.
Charlotte Hornback, Clerk Pro Tem