Present: Senior Pastor and Moderator Jeff Hosmer, Associate Pastor Mike Smith; Elders, Judy Etheridge, Orv Liesman, Rose Gorman, Jim Crutchfield, Lynn Miller, John T. Smith, Becky Bros; Church Administrator, Dennis Heasty
Excused: Elders, Charlotte Hornback and Bob Peacock
Call to Order: Stated Session meeting was convened in the Peace Room at 3:00 pm. A quorum was present.
Devotion: Lynn Miller led and offered prayer.
New Business: Baptismal motion requested by Pastor Mike Smith and approval of Pastor Jeff’s letter concerning his DMin. are under action items. Becky Bros will lead devotion and prayer for the September Session meeting.
Order of the Day:
Motion was made to approve the docket. The motion was made, accepted, and passed.
Motion was made to approve the minutes from June 21, 2016 Session meeting with
correction of Pastor Jeff’s name under Pastor’s report. The motion was moved, accepted,
Motion was made to approve membership changes. Motion was made, accepted, and carried.
These members joined the Church Triumphant:
Jean Deyoe (6/10/16)
Jeanne Greene (6/18/16)
Arlene Dahman (7/29/16)
Pastor Irv Burton (8/7/16)
These members have requested to be transferred to another church and have been removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Muriel Littler (First Presbyterian Church Mt. Dora)
- Motion was made to approve the baptism of Brooklyn Steadham. The motion was moved, accepted, and passed.
- Motion was made to delegate authority to Pastors to approve routine baptisms that meet the Book of Order requirements. The motion was moved, accepted, and passed.
- Motion was made to approve a letter of transfer of Muriel Littler to First Presbyterian Church Mt. Dora. The motion was moved, accepted, and passed.
- Motion was made to accept Pastor Jeff Hosmer’s letter seeking approval to utilize the congregation for research during worship to use in his DMin. The motion was moved, accepted, and passed.
Clerk’s Report: (No report)
Congregational Care: Elder Lynn Miller - gave an alert about deacons.
Congregational Life: Elder Judy Etheridge – 39 new members joined the last 101 class.
Worship: Elder Rose Gorman (no report)
Mission Outreach: Elder Becky Bros (see attached report)
Adult Discipleship: Elder Bob Peacock – In Bob Peacock’s absence, Pastor Mike Smith reported that small groups are again forming and a “spiritual get away” is being planned.
Youth and Children: Elder Jim Crutchfield (see attached report) – Pastor Jeff opened with a word to lead us into the youth ministry discussion. Jim led us in a discussion on the need for a youth program and Youth Director. This was an open discussion with everyone stating pros and cons about a youth program in our retirement area. Funding of this position was the Finance Committee’s concern. After much talk, it was decided we should ask for God’s guidance, control of our expectations, empower the search committee and search for the right Youth Director, either full time or part time.
Administration: Elder John T. Smith (no report) Staff Reports:
Church Administrator: Dennis Heasty
Alerted Session on the medical coverage changes.
Alerted Session on possible increase for Operation Homebound meals.
Finance Report: Dennis Heasty
Dennis gave a report on the finances.
Associate Pastor’s Report: Mike Smith (no report)
Pastor’s Report: Jeff Hosmer (no report)
- Those attending September 13, 2016 Presbytery meeting: Pastor Jeff Hosmer, Pastor Mike Smith, Becky Bros, Rose Gorman and Lynn Miller.
- Those excused from the September Session meeting: Bob Peacock, John T. Smith, Judy Etheridge.
Motion was made, accepted and carried to adjourn the meeting.
Pastor Jeff Hosmer closed in prayer.
Respectfully Submitted by,
Lynn Miller, Clerk Pro-tem