Class of 2018
- Charlotte Hornback
- Bob Peacock
- Jim Crutchfield
- Dave Tyler (Clerk of Session)
Class of 2019
- Ex Becky Bros
- John T Smith
- Dottie Wise
Class of 2020
- Bill Johnson
- Dick Young
- Rose Gorman
- Dr. Jeff Hosmer
- Mike Smith
- Ex Dennis Heasty
- Ex Lynn Miller
- Ex Mike Snow
CALL TO ORDER
The Stated Meeting of the Session for the month of July, 2017, was called to order by Moderator, Dr. Jeff Hosmer, at 3:00 pm. on the 18th day of July, 2017, in the Peace Room of the North Lake Presbyterian Church. A quorum was declared present.
Moderator Hosmer called upon, Mike Smith, Associate Pastor, to lead the Session in an Opening Devotion. Mike called our attention to Paul’s farewell. He noted that Paul no longer valued his life for himself but only as it may have some value for the purposes of God. Paul prayed he would have the courage to continue so that Christ would be exalted by his ministry. He acknowledged that Christ came to save sinners of which he felt he was the worst. Mike then asked each member of the Session to verbally comment on the importance of Paul’s ministry to them, with most emphasizing the passion with which Paul had dedicated his life to his ministry on behalf of his Savior, Jesus Christ. Mike then lead us in prayer asking for God to enable each of us to bring to our service and ministry for and on behalf of God, a passion to serve similar to Paul’s.
The Agenda for the Session Meeting to be held on the 18th day of July, 2017, was presented, reviewed, and discussed. Following discussion, upon motion duly made, seconded, and passed, unanimously, the Agenda, was approved, as presented.
MINUTES OF APRIL SESSION MEETING
- The Moderator next called attention to the Minutes of the June Meeting of the Session that had been attached to the Docket forwarded to the Members. Discussion ensued and no corrections were noted. Upon motion duly made, seconded, and passed unanimously, the Minutes were approved.
CHANGES IN THE MEMBERSHIP ROLL
- These members joined the Church Triumphant
- Anne Bailey (May 16,2017)
- Joyce Johns (May 17, 2017)
- These members are no longer attending our Church and should be placed on the Inactive Roll and removed from the Active Membership Roll
- Katherine Tulloss (requested to be removed)
- These members have requested to be transferred to another Church and have been removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Dick and Beth Keith (Community Church - Tennessee)
- Glenn and Sandie Paluso (First United Methodist Church - - Clermont)
- These members have moved out of our area and should be removed from the Active Membership Roll - - None
- These members have been reinstated
- Chuck Houser
- Susan Hill
- There were no proposed actions for members listed on our Affiliate Member Rolls -
- Following review, upon motion duly made, seconded, and passed unanimously, the proposed changes in the Membership Rolls, were approved.
The Moderator next called the Session’s attention to the Proposed Amended By Laws attached to the Agenda. He explained that the source of this draft was found in the records of the NLPC as By Laws Adopted in 2014. Those By Laws had been editorially revised by a committee selected for that purpose and, most importantly, for the creation of the Board of Deacons, previously approved and created as was inserted, (see By Law III). After review and discussion, it was noted that the second sentence, of paragraph B, of By Law III, needed to be amended to read as follows:
“The nine deacons will be divided into three (3) classes, of three(3) each, serving a three (3) year term (March-February) from the time of their election, except for replacement deacons.” and that the date of adoption be noted at the base of each page.
After further discussion, the Proposed By Laws, as amended, were adopted by the Session for presentation to the Congregation and a Meeting called for that purpose on the 1st day of August, 2017, upon motion duly made, seconded. and passed unanimously, without abstentions.
- Correspondence - None
- Presbytery -Upcoming Meetings:
2017 - Tuesday, September 12, @9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian , Vero Beach, Fl
ELDER REPORTS NEW MEMBERS
The Moderator called upon Elder, Bob Peacock, to report on the activity of the Membership Committee. Bob reported that we had 33 new members, from our recent 101 Classes, that had indicated their interest in joining NLPC. Arrangements were being made to introduce these new members to the Congregation at the Services to be held on the 30th of July, 2017; with 9 at the First Service, 4 at the Second Service, and 17 at the Third Service. The Committee received a “well done” for their impressive performance
The Moderator next called upon Elder, Dick Young, to report on upcoming activities of the Fellowship Committee. Dick reported that plans had been made for a trip for interested members to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando. The trip would be taken on the 4th day of October, 2017, by 56 passenger bus (s) at a cost of $69.00 per person, including tip for the driver. Many of the elders present commented upon the quality of the program to be seen.
The Moderator next called upon Elder, Rose Gorman, to report on the activity of the Worship Committee. Rose reported that further investigation into the purchase of new offering plates had produced some unexpected information. The projected cost for the replacement of the current size plates would be $161.00 per plate. The Committee felt further investigation was necessary before final purchase in order to try to keep within the budget for that purchase.
The Moderator next called upon Elder, Dottie Wise, to report on that activities of the Welcome Committee. Dottie reported that the Committee was working on several items.
First, they were considering ways to help eliminate the congestion in the parking lots between the Sunday Services. They were investigating having police help with movement in and out of the parking lots. Also, they were considering a 8-passenger golf cart to assist worshipper’s movement to and from the Parking lots. They were also considering pre-service hymn singing to help relieve the time concentration. It was noted, however, that the key to such a program’s success, would be to find a
well qualified leader for the singing.
Second, for concerts that we were hosting, they were considering using no-cost tickets to facilitate seating, to assist with congestion in and out of the sanctuary.
The Moderator called the Session’s attention to the financial information attached to the Agenda. In Summary, the revenues continue to be up over last year and budget, the expenses continue to be down from last year and under budget, all of which is good news, however, the concern is that our attendance is down. Continued effort with the Welcome Committee will hopefully solve this problem. Perhaps we should check and see if other Churches in the Village are experiencing similar reduced attendance the year over last.
The Moderator called the Session’s attention to the Budgeting Assumptions and noted that we are waiting for insurance info before we can proceed. However, we should be prepared to start the process soon.
- The Moderator called upon Pastor Mike for a report.
- Mike reported that he scheduled a wedding for a young couple on November 4th.
- Mike next reported that he was in the process of studying the operational concerns of the Little Blessings Program. Our inability to be able to recruit teachers qualified to work in our program is limiting our program and any plans for expansion in the future. Currently, we have a long waiting list of parents who want to get their child into the program. We currently have 118 children enrolled, 132 is considered to be our current capacity, and 150 is the building capacity. We also may be in need of considering a “sheltering structure” to be used to house the program. Planning is ahead, with more info to come. Possible increases in fees are also being considered.
SPECIAL COMMITTEE REPORT
The Moderator next referred the Session’s attention to the Report from the Special Committee selected after the June Meeting, to consider alternative wording for the “What We Believe” page of our website. Their Report is attached to the Agenda for this Meeting of the Session. After much study, and consideration of other local church websites, they concluded that “our website can be better used as a marquee for headline-beliefs and for welcoming folks, rather that for providing detailed statements or covering the hardest issues.” Therefore, they recommend that the current Congregational Letter and the Advisory Opinion on Marriage Passage be removed from the website and replaced with the suggested statement that the essence of our belief in God and our worship of God at NLPC is love! Further, in the future, they recommend that our website be limited to use as an information source. Discussion ensued. Following discussion, it was moved, and seconded, that the recommendations of the committee be adopted as the official position of the Session. The Motion passed unanimously.
The Moderator then lead the Session in a closing prayer, thanking God for his presence and participation in our Meeting. He specifically asked God for help for all of us as we attempt to emulate the attitudes, teachings, and life of Paul here in our ministry in our Church.
There being no further business to come before the Session at this Meeting, upon motion duly made, seconded, and passed unanimously, the Meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m. -
W. David Tyler, Clerk of Session