Present: Elders Lynn Miller, John T. Smith, Rose Gorman, Judy Etheridge, Jim Crutchfield, Bob Peacock, Charlotte Hornback; Orv Liesman, Clerk of Session; Associate Pastor and Acting Moderator, Mike Smith; Church Administrator, Tom Ledoux.
Call to Order: Stated session meeting was convened in the Peace Room. A quorum was present. Pastor Mike Smith, acting as Moderator, opened with prayer and led the recitation of the Elder Covenant. Lynn Miller led the devotion.
Order of the Day:
Church Administrator’s Report by Tom Ledoux:
- May 19, FAB Dinner will be the last weekly dinner. Beginning September, FAB will be held monthly.
- April – July preaching schedule is completed.
- Update on Pastor Denny and Sandy. Vacation begins May 8.
- Request to have one service on June 28th at 10:00 a.m. Motion was made, seconded and approved for one service on June 28th at 10:00 a.m.
- Request was made to increase vacation for new senior pastor from 4 to 6 weeks. After discussion, it was determined that vacation would be 4 weeks at start and reviewed after one year. Motion was made, seconded and approved.
- Session may receive an email to call congregational meeting after 3rd service May 31.
- On Arbor Day, Thursday, April 23rd, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. there will be a tree planting in honor or Denny.
- After some discussion, the Session approved sending a letter to the congregation addressing the recent change to the Book of Order regarding marriage.
Associate Pastor’s Report by Mike Smith:
- Report postponed due to time constraints.
Minutes, Correspondence, and Announcements:
- Last month’s session minutes were amended. It should have read “Under Review” instead of “On the Rocks”.
- Minutes of Stated Session Meeting of March 17, 2015 approved as amended.
Notes to Clerk of Session for February 17, 2015 was accepted by common consent.
These members joined the Church Triumphant:
- William B. Hoover (3/15/15) - Monte Boone (3/17/15)
- Jerry Roosa (3/19/15)- Osa Tilman (4/13/15)
These members transferred to other churches:
- Don and Pat Pierce (Fairway Christian Church)
- Tom Miller (1st Presbyterian Leesburg)
- Bill and Judy Monie (Fairway Christian Church)
- David and Meredith Yorkston (New Covenant United Methodist)
These members are no longer attending our church and should be placed on the Inactive Roll and removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Lois Dunca
- Liz Heron
- Bonnie Lightfoot
These members have permanently moved out of our area and should be removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Jan Kellogg (moved to Virginia)
Financial Report: (No report)
Congregational Life: Elder Judy Etheridge
- Request to add Ricky Rowe as a new member was approved.
Worship: Elder Rose Gorman
- Request direction on reducing number of flowers for Easter and Christmas. Approved to continue as is deemed necessary.
- Voiced concern about congregants wearing perfume.
- Planning usher training sessions that will include CPR and AED training.
- New “Red” portable phone for emergencies has been purchased and is located on the wall in the Fellowship Hall. All head ushers will instruct on usage and locations.
- Ideas to consider: Have clocks in Fellowship Hall and coffee area to help people to worship more punctually.
- Clock at rear of Fellowship Hall to keep track of time during service.
- Move 8:30 a.m. service to 8:15 a.m.
- Pastors should shorten service on Communion Sunday.
Ministry: Elder Charlotte Hornback
- Request was made for session to make exception to our policy of staff spouses serving as elders. Nominating Committee recommended Becky Bros to fill Outreach Elder position. Motion was made, seconded and passed to grant requested exception to policy.
- Motion to approve Becky Bros as Outreach Elder was made, seconded and approved.
Administration: Elder John T. Smith – (no report)
Youth and Children Discipleship: Elder Jim Crutchfield
- New Youth Director Keenan Crowley will begin the end of the month.
Pastoral Care: Elder Lynn Miller
- Ron VanGelderen did a great job at FAB and continues to work in the Transportation Ministry.
- Healing Team met on 4/8. Prayed healing prayer followed by uplifting prayer.
- Stephen Ministry information is going out with Operation Homebound and to first time visitors.
- Caring Peoples Ministry had picture in the bulletin showing “Behind the Scenes” workers.
- Pastor Mike would like to celebrate the great faithfulness of our Lord and the great season we’ve had from September, 2014 through March, 2015.
Adult Discipleship: Elder Bob Peacock (no report)
Motion made, seconded and passed to adjourn. Elder Judy Etheridge closed with prayer.
Orv Liesman, Clerk of Session