Present: Senior Pastor and Moderator Denny Dennison; Elders, Rose Gorman, Judy Etheridge, Lynn Miller, Jack Kiley, Donna Gibbons, Jim Crutchfield, John T. Smith; Orv Liesman, Clerk of Session; Associate Pastor, Mike Smith; Church Administrator, Tom Ledoux.
Call to Order: Stated session meeting was convened in the Peace Room at 3:00 p.m. A quorum was present. The meeting was called to order. Elder Judy Etheridge opened with prayer. Pastor Dennison led the elder covenant recitation.
Order of the Day:
Church Administrator’s Report by Tom Ledoux:
- The elders approved the mission and vision statement. Suggested sharing statements after January 1, 2015.
- Announced strategic planning committee members: Mike Smith, Mike Snow, Dave Stull, Linda Brown, Dennis Heasty, Bob Cook, John Bros and Tom Ledoux.
- Reviewed internal communication strategy and presented a flow chart.
- Emphasized all advertisement requests be cleared through Tom’s office.
- Presented revised organizational chart.
- Pat LeCompte is the new administrative assistant. She will work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Updated permanent choir director search. Position will be between 30 and 40 hours per week. 3 candidates are being considered.
- Senior Pastor Job Description form will be available for review at November session meeting. Staff will give input.
- Request from Pearl Evans to post all deaths in the bulletin was approved by common consent.
Associate Pastor’s Report by Mike Smith: No Report
Pastor’s Report by Denny Dennison: Usual transition information
Financial Report by Bob Cook:
- In relatively good financial condition. Will need to have usual November through January buildup.
Minutes, Correspondence, and Announcements:
- Motion: A motion to approve the minutes of the September 16, 2014 Stated Session Meeting was made, seconded and passed unanimously.
- Motion: A motion to approve membership changes as of September 16, 2014, was made, seconded and passed unanimously.
Notes to Clerk of Session for September 16, 2014 accepted by common consent.
These members joined the Church Triumphant:
- Joe Harrell (9/13/14)
- Ernie Harton (10/10/14)
- Randy Rakow (10/10/14)
Joined another church and request that their names be removed from our church roll:
- Liz Newton (New Covenant United Methodist Church)
These people are no longer attending our church and should be placed on the Inactive Roll and removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Marilyn Englesbe
- Swanee and Hazel Preston (Hazel deceased also)
- Jane Waters
- Jack and Sheila Hollingsworth
- Wilma Batman
This member was removed from the Affiliate Membership Status:
- Laurel Weller (moved to Texas to be closer to family)
Worship: Elder Rose Gorman – no report
- 100 poinsettias will be delivered to the church December 18 or 19 at the cost of $5.00 each from Jack Davis, Rotary Club of the Villages. The cost will be $10.00 each to the congregation as in previous years.
- Gail Marineau is now the chair of the 8:30 communion preparers. Joyce Corso is no longer involved with this ministry.
- Met with Sharon Hay, Ellen Klug, Betty Senter, Sue Kirkpatrick, Judy Etheridge and Becky Bros regarding sprucing up the area behind the choir where presently we have 5 old fake planters. Some suggestions were a plexiglass in blue with lights behind or a mural by Sharon Hay.
- We need to take a look at the artificial flowers being displayed on Sunday morning for donors to take home after requesting flowers for a loved one.
- A suggestion was made that all outside concerts that are held at North Lake be promoted in the bulletin and newsletter and that a Pastor welcome the audience along with a prayer before all concerts.
Ministry: Elder Donna Gibons
- Nominating Committee begins next week.
Administration: Elder John T. Smith – No report
Youth & Children Discipleship : Elder Jim Crutchfield
- Teens for hire in progress; need more adult help for transportation and monitor job sights.
- Lady Lake Fall Fest 10/25 – NLPC youth and leaders host games and collect info on area families.
- LOGOS Fall Fest at Kiley Farm 10/29/14. LOGOS families host games with food, bonfire with smores and not so scary costumes.
- Light up North Lake campus is 11/22.
- Lady Lake Christmas parade is 12/6. NLPC will enter a float and hand out invitations to Christmas Night at North Lake.
- Christmas Night at North Lake is Sunday, 12/7. Theme: “How The Grinch Saved Christmas”. Mr. and Mrs. Santa will be here. Little Blessings play will include Grinch and the true meaning of Christmas. Music TBA, probably high school madrigals, praise team and strolling carolers. There will be an ice cream bar, coffee and Capri suns. Mission tables will have family themes along with children’s activity tables. Lighting of the Christmas tree with be by the Mayor of Whoville.
- Youth Summer Mission Trips will be June 25th – July 2nd, going to Orlando (Community service projects, faith building, worship, revival) and July 12-17 for the Pre-teens also going to Orlando.
Pastoral Care: Elder Lynn Miller
- Website is working well. We received a request for a member whose family is living in Pennsylvania and Scotland. Our transportation ministry is handling this request. Children will be arriving in about 2 weeks to take care of the situation.
- Healing team appreciates session’s assistance in bringing Monte Rector and Father Hugh to North Lake for “Inner Healing” workshop. The healing service was held 10/8.
- Extended Table is reaching an average of 39 homes on communion Sundays. Thanks for help from church family.
- Stephen Ministry has ongoing training classes on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for 8 weeks. Our pastors have each volunteered to teach in the program.
- We are considering moving the table from vestibule. Suggested ministry items be removed from table so we can keep track of them.
Mission Outreach: Elder Jack Kiley
- Repairing home for family in Ocala Forest.
Congregational Life: Elder Judy Etheridge
- A “Thank You” dinner was held for all the people who had chaired ministries under my eldership. A great time was had and everyone was thanked for their work over the past year and the anticipated work for the coming year.
- The PW is sponsoring a retreat for all circle members, men from the church, and friends outside the church, on Saturday, the 25th.
- The 101 class is scheduled for the October 26th and we have 30 people signed up.
- The Spirited Singles met for numerous activities over the summer; this month they enjoyed an ice cream social in the Fellowship Hall.
- This is not under my eldership, but the Music department had a pitch in dinner on October 10th. About 60 members and spouses attended .
- It would be appreciated if an announcement would be made on Sunday mornings that we have a first time visitor gift for the visitors. They also have special name tags to wear. It would be helpful to point out to the congregation to look for these special people and give them a warm welcome. We need to also decide if we are using our form that was created or the communication card.
- I asked Dennis Heasty if anyone was working on some communication to the congregation to include the church in their will or trust. He indicated he would work on it.
- We voted on giving the Christmas Eve offering to the SOZO children in the Ocala Forest, however, we give $26,000 to them last year and have supported them with shoes and undies. When Steve Baumann was here, he shared the need that his organization has. I would like for us to consider the possibility of dividing the offering to include both groups.
- I would like to suggest looking at our advertising plans. Many opportunities are missed.
Closing: Motion: A Motion to close the meeting was made, seconded, and passed unanimously. Pastor Smith closed with prayer.
Orv Liesman, Clerk Of Sessio