North Lake Presbyterian Church
Stated Session Meeting Minutes
November 19, 2013 3:00 P.M.
Present: Senior Pastor and Moderator Denny Dennison; Elders, Judy Etheridge, Donna Gibbons, Jack Kiley, Lynn Miller, Jim Crutchfield, Bill Monie, John Smith, Betty Lint, Clerk of Session and Tom Ledoux, Church Administrator.
Order: Stated session meeting was held in Senior Pastor Dennison’s office. A quorum was present. The meeting was called to order. Lynn Miller opened with Prayer.
Devotion: The Elder Covenant was recited by the group.
Devotion – Lynn Miller (God’s Word)
Order of the Day:
- Church Administrator’s Report by Tom Ledoux:
- Website content has been changed. Working on appearance and theme.
- Developing new policies that will be sent to elders during the next month.
Motion: A motion was made to authorize the Church Administrator to enter into a contract for the purchase of an audio system for the Fellowship Hall at a price of $60,000, seconded and passed unanimously.
Minutes, Correspondence, and Announcements:
Motion: A motion was made to approve the minutes of the October 15, 2013 Stated Session meeting, seconded and passed unanimously.
Motion: A motion was made to approve membership changes as of November 2013, seconded and passed unanimously.
- Notes to Clerk of Session for November, 2013 accepted by common consent.
- Joined another church and request that their names be removed from our church roll:
Charlotte O’Connor – transferred to Fairway Christian Church
Joyce Davidson – transferred to Fairway Christian Church
- Treasurer’s Report and Financial Report by Bob Cook:
- We made it through September and October by borrowing money from ourselves.
- We have controlled expenses well and will be in a better position by 2014.
- The annual budget will be presented to session in the January meeting.
Pastor’s Report- Senior Pastor Denny Dennison
- SOCS Report (information)
- Reviewed Pastor Denny’s Evaluation with his feedback.
- We will discuss his personal goals at the next session meeting.
- Discussed but did not decide on a session retreat date.
- The date for the Annual Congregational Meeting will be Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 6:00 accepted by common consent.
Worship: Elder Tom Ledoux
- Continue to recruit head ushers, but still need someone for January.
- Spent time with various members, elders, and Lisa discussing the on-going concerns of the changes in the music program.
- Working with Lisa to find candidates for the organist position.
Ministry: Elder Donna Gibbons – no report
Pastoral Care: Elder Lynn Miller
- The parish nurse hosted a Health Fair November 9th with guest speakers that spoke on Autoimmune System, The Cause and The Cure and also Pain and Inflammation Matters.
- The Extended Table continues to serve our shut in community serving 430 people to date.
- The Healing Team will host our “Service of Remembrance“ on December 12th at 2:00 PM.
- Stephen Ministry will have Bob Hazlett joining the leaders team after completing the Leaders Training Course.
- There has been no response to our request for a Transportation Ministry.
Mission Outreach: Elder Jack Kiley
- David Houck will speak on Sunday, November 17th.
- The Food Pantry has served 399 families with help from the Boy Scouts and the new Sweetbay store.
- Information was given about The Big Oak Ranch that supports and benefits many youth . It is a very worthwhile organization to support financially.
Youth and Children Discipleship: Elder Jim Crutchfield
- Children are now in the same building as parents during Sunday School.
- Considering the Shelby program to be instituted as a tracking system for The Sunday School youth.
- The Contemporary service is growing with more “tweens” and teens.
- On December 1st the teens and parents will be going out to the neighborhood giving out magnets that promote Christmas night at NLPC.
- The Belize mission trip has been cancelled because of a safety concern.
Fellowship: Elder Judy Etheridge
- Appreciation dinners were held for the Handyman ministry, and all the ministries under Congregational Life. This Thursday a luncheon will be held for all current Shepherds of NLPC.
- The Retirement dinner for David Flanigan will be held immediately after the FAB Wednesday dinner December 18th. Joe Hand will then lead the first Annual Christmas Carol Sing Fest.
- It has been suggested by several members that guests attending music and activities be welcomed by staff or an elder.
- The 101 class was held November 10th and 33 new members were welcomed to NLPC.
- Our congregation deserves many accolades for all the participation in our ministries and activities. They deserve a special Sunday event and a mention from the pulpit.
- It was accepted by common consent that the Presbyterian Women will serve communion at their retreat on March 15th.
. Discipleship: Elder Bill Monie
- Still looking for a leader for the Encouragers Sunday School Class.
- Discussed the possibility of having pledge cards with the Finance Committee.
- Two small group studies that are starting up are Alpha and possibly a Sermon Series.
- Looking for someone to organize the media center.
Administration: Elder John T. Smith – no report
New Business: Next session meeting is December 17th.
Closing: Motion- A Motion was made, seconded, and passed unanimously to close the meeting. Pastor Denny closed in prayer.
Betty Lint, Clerk Of Session
Page PAGE 1 of NUMPAGES 3