Present: Senior Pastor and Moderator Jeff Hosmer, Associate Pastor Mike Smith; Elders, Bob Peacock, Charlotte Hornback, Rose Gorman, Jim Crutchfield, Lynn Miller, John T. Smith, Becky Bros, Clerk of Session, Orv Liesman; Church Administrator, Dennis Heasty
Excused: Elder, Judy Etheridge
Call to Order: Stated Session meeting was convened in the Peace Room at 3:00 pm. A quorum was present.
Devotion: Becky Bros opened with prayer and led devotions.
Order of the Day:
- Motion was made to approve the docket. The motion was made, accepted and passed.
- Motion was made to approve the minutes from August 16, 2016 Session meeting. The motion was moved, accepted and passed.
- Motion was made to approve the Special Called Session Minutes of September 4, 2016 in reference to Holly Reimer. The motion was moved, accepted and passed.
- Motion was made to approve membership changes. Motion was made, accepted and carried.
These members joined the Church Triumphant:
- Robert Branson (8/17/16)
- Marianne Renchenski (8/23/16)
- Sharon DePersia
- Jim Reedy
- Lenore Busser (9/10/16)
These members have been reinstated:
- Lois Chamberlain
Motion was made to approve the pension and insurance decision. The church will absorb $350.00 per month toward dependent coverage. The employee will pay $160.00 per month for member and spouse or $263.50 per month for member and family for insurance costs.The motion was moved, accepted and passed.
Motion was made to delegate to the Mission Committee decisions to re-allocate designated mission funds (maximum $5000.00) that exceed the amount needed for a particular project or mission. The motion was moved, accepted and passed.
Approved the request from Janet Kobar, Moderator of Presbyterian Women to have Becky Bros serve communion at the Presbyterian Women’s Fall Retreat on Thursday, October 27. A letter will be sent by Clerk of Session, Orv Liesman, to Janet giving her approval by Session to allow Becky to serve communion.
Motion was made to approve the Christmas Service schedule as follows:
- Christmas Eve services:
5:00 p.m. Contemporary service, 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Traditional service
- Christmas Day and New Year’s Day – 1 service at 11:00 a.m.
This motion was moved, accepted and passed.
- The next Presbytery meeting will be on Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at Good Shepherd Church.
Elder Reports: (As needed, written reports will be circulated with minutes)
Adult Discipleship: Elder Bob Peacock – Three classes in October will be the last ones for 2016.
Youth and Children: Elder Jim Crutchfield (see attached report)
Worship: Elder Rose Gorman (no report)
Ministry: Elder Charlotte Hornback (no report)
Mission Outreach: Elder Becky Bros
- Presented Session with a mission chart (see attached)
- There will be about 6 people going on the Mission Trip to Cuba. The dates are January 26th – 31st. They are working on the list of events. The original cost of $1100.00 has been cut to around $800.00 (hopefully a bit more).
- We have added Operation Shoebox as one of our endorsed missions.
- We have increased the amount of children for Feed the Children to 88 starting in October.
- Martin Luther King Scholarship Fund follows a teen through college.
Congregational Care: Elder Lynn Miller
- Memorial Service Ministry has been overwhelmed with Saturday services. They are cheerfully sharing the responsibility to lighten the load for everyone. The team is splitting into groups so no one has the total responsibility of working every service.
- Extended Table Ministry is open to new volunteers (former deacons and elders)
- Pastor Dave has started a new grief support class and they are using a series called “Your Journey from Mourning to Joy.”
- Healing Service is October 9th at 4:00 p.m. Individual prayer is available upon request.
- Training a new team of Stephen Ministers and 3 former trained Stephen Ministers are joining the Team.
- Lynn is currently working on a policy for walk-ins requesting aid.
- The ministry of deacons is set forth in scripture as one of compassion, witness and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ. Her hope is that the Session will receive and prayerfully consider the addition with a loving heart when fully presented.
Congregational Life: Elder Judy Etheridge (not present but a report was handed out)
- Ministry coaches have been selected to serve as mentors to the new members taken in at the new member classes. These coaches will strive to help new members become immersed in the life of the church. It is the goal to get each member involved in at least one activity. These coaches will get their first people after the October 16th new member class.
- The Presbyterian Women have been working all summer setting up their budget and mission goals. The Coordinating Team met on the 6th under the leadership of new Moderator, Janet Kobar. Their annual PW retreat will be held on October 27 with the theme “Looking at Jesus Through a Different Lens.” All are invited and invitations will be sent to other churches. The Art Show and Tea are scheduled for January and February respectively.
- The PW hopes to have a fundraiser. They would like to see note cards with an image of the church. They hope to get Sharon Hay to create the image. This project will coincide with promotions of the 2017 celebration of our 25th anniversary. Circle meetings will restart this month.
- The Spirited Singles are meeting and are still trying to secure a leadership person,however, volunteers are currently working to keep the group going and meeting monthly.
Administration: Elder John T. Smith
- A personnel plan for Theresa Strickland was discussed. Her leave is effective immediately. Compensation was reduced to 30 hours a week. Benefits remain unchanged. Vickie Ruddell will be monitoring her progress. A motion was made to accept this plan. The motion was made, accepted and passed.
hurch Administrator: Dennis Heasty
- Much discussion was given on the meal increase for Operation Homebound. Vickie Ruddell was in the meeting for this discussion. A motion was made to approve a $1.00 per person meal increase instead of the $2.00 per person suggested meal increase. The motion was made, accepted and passed. (see attached)
Finance Report: Dennis Heasty
- The budget process for 2017 has begun.
- Chris Kao will be starting October 17, 2016 as the new Administrative Assistant.
Associate Pastor’s Report: Mike Smith (no report)
Pastor’s Report: Jeff Hosmer (no report)
Motion was made, accepted and carried to adjourn the meeting.
Pastor Jeff Hosmer closed in prayer.
Respectfully Submitted by,
Orv Liesman, Clerk of Session