Present: Elders Lynn Miller, Jim Crutchfield, Bob Peacock, Becky Bros, Charlotte Hornback, Judy Etheridge, Rose Gorman; Orv Liesman, Clerk of Session; Moderator, Jeff Hosmer; Associate Pastor, Mike Smith; Church Administrator, Tom Ledoux.
Call to Order: Stated session meeting was convened in the Peace Room at 3:00 p.m. A quorum was present. Moderator Jeff Hosmer opened with prayer and led the recitation of the Elder Covenant. Charlotte Hornback led devotions.
Order of the Day:
Church Administrator’s Report by Tom Ledoux:
- Chris Endsley was hired as the church organist starting on November 8.
- The Children’s Ministry requested that they would like to create a Children’s Wing. This will require some painting, a new door, signage and children’s furniture. It will also require moving furniture at times. Designated LOGOS funds will be used to cover expenses.
- A motion was made, seconded and approved unanimously to create a Children’s Wing.
- Discussed transportation problems for Wednesday afternoon LOGOS program. Tom will explore options and bring suggestions to Finance Committee and Session for approval.
- Children’s Ministry and some mothers voiced concerns about safety in front of the church when the youth are playing there. Tom will get answers to the problem and discuss them at a future Session meeting.
Associate Pastor’s Report by Mike Smith:
- There has been a good response from the calls for the Communication cards.
- Spirit in congregation and staff is high.
Pastor’s Report by Jeff Hosmer:
- Membership changes approved by common consent as distributed.
- Jeff is working on his Installation Service. He encouraged all elders to attend.
- Nancy Ross-Zimmerman from North Minster Church will be preaching for the Installation Service.
- A summary is attached on Jeff’s first ten weeks of ministry.
- Jeff shared his thoughts on congregational care
- Financial Report by Tom Ledoux for Dennis Heasty:
- Giving has increased by 19% for the month of October.
- Expenses are down slightly.
- Overall financial picture is excellent.
Minutes, Correspondence, and Announcements:
- Minutes of Stated Session Meeting of September 15, 2015 approved as submitted and accepted by common consent.
- Notes to Clerk of Session for September 15, 2015 was accepted by common consent.
These members joined the Church Triumphant:
- Dave Hadaway (9/8/15)
- Les Spiers (9/9/15)
- Jeannie Gray (9/12/15)
- Jack Bell (9/21/15)
- Glenn Neff (10/3/15)
- Ben Exner (10/4/15)
These members requested to be transferred to another church and have been removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Jan Kellogg is being reinstated after being removed due to moving away. She will then be transferred to Brandermill Church, VA.
- Thomas Young is being transferred to Morrison United Methodist Church, Leesburg, FL.
These members have permanently moved out of our area and should be removed from the Active Membership Roll:
- Carl and Mary Ruhl
These members have been reinstated:
- Dolores Wagner
- Fred (Hendricus) and Eve Eekhof
Administration: Elder John T. Smith (no report)
Youth and Children Discipleship: Elder Jim Crutchfield
- Sunday School is averaging over 26 a week.
- LOGOS has doubled (30 to 60)registration K-5th grade participants this month.
- Beginning to track attendance at all activities. Youth also tracked for participation in mission and retreat opportunities.
- “Not So Scary Halloween Fall Fest” at Lady Lake will be this Saturday. North Lake will provide gifts and awards. Prizes will give an opportunity to get the word out regarding North Lake activities, times and services.
- A prime candidate to fill the K-5th Christian Education position has been chosen. Interviewing and finalizing procedure will occur on Monday, October 26. If formally selected, the new hire will train with Judy Truscott during December and officially begin the work on January 1, 2016.
- North Lake concert, Music Mission Kiev, raised $7,300 for their missions in Ukraine, including aid to widows, orphans and refugees.
- The Music Committee is holding $800.00 to cover concert overhead expenses.
Ministry: Elder Charlotte Hornback
- At the October 13, 2015 Nominating Committee, they unanimously chose Lynn Miller and John T. Smith as elders for the Class of 2016.
- Elder biographies will be in the bulletin when Session sets a date for the Annual Meeting.
- They discussed replacement of Nominating Committee members. Decision will be made when it is determined which elders will be replaced.
Pastoral Care: Elder Lynn Miller
- Healing Team – Sandy Emery led devotions and discussed Romans 4:20-22 re: Faith. The team prayed the Healing Prayer, the Cursing Cancer Prayer, and the Uplifting Prayer. Their next meeting will be on October 21. The next Healing Service will be November 4th.
- Parish Nurses – 56 people received either/and flu or pneumonia shots at our October FAB dinner.
- Stephen Ministry – Joyce Stull was welcomed as a new Stephen Minister. Joyce is a veteran, trained Stephen Minister. A new training program is underway and being well received by participants.
Mission Outreach: Elder Becky Bros
- Missions/ Presbyterian Women/ FAB Tuesday collaborated on the cookbook program. Sales were great.
- Donation pails on tables received $333.00 contributed to the Lifeboat Project.
- Presbyterian Women will handle the handbag project.
- Mountain TOP, Mission of the Month, had a best ever attendance of 22 people. A Mountain TOP program for Lady Lake is being developed. 3 homes in the Ocala Forest and 1 in Lady Lake are ready to be worked on.
- We are now planning the playground for the new mentoring center in the Ocala Forest. Christmas Eve love offering will provide funding.
- The Mission Team meets the first Wednesday of every month. This month was the 2016 budget.
- November and December will be dedicated to Christmas season outreaches at North Lake.
- January will kick off with Wycliffe coming here and we pack for STOP Hunger.
Adult Discipleship: Elder Bob Peacock
- The Enlightenment Series began September 27. These classes had the following results:
01 Class – 18 in attendance
01 Class – 3 in attendance
01 Class – 7 in attendance
September 28th – The Truth Project – 11 attendees
October 13th – Navigating and Understanding the Bible – 28 attendees
October 15th – Missing Commandment- Loving Yourself – 28 attendees
- The following classes were canceled and will be offered in the winter:
Bethel Old Testament
The Hole in Our Gospel
- Bethel New Testament starts January 15, 2016. 18 participants have enrolled.
Worship: Elder Rose Gorman
- Discussions are on-going regarding the placement of fresh flowers for memorials and dedications. The most overt and secure place for them would be outside the Fellowship Hall on the ledge to the left and in front of the handicapped ramp. Donators have been informed of this decision.
- An alternative method of distributing the communion elements suggested by Elder Gorman would require an expenditure of $8,718.66. Rose will follow up on the suggested change.
Congregational Life: Elder Judy Etheridge
- Spirited Singles had 100 attendees following reorganization.
- Have a new shepherd coordinator, Sandy Rice. Hope all neighborhoods will all have a telephone tree by the end of the year.
- Presbyterian Women sold all 500 cookbooks. $3,500 was donated to the Lifeboat project.
- FAB Dinner attendance is up. Follow up calls to 101 members, 1st time guests, 101 attendees not joining is well received.
- The last 101 class results had 31 new members, 4 new choir members, Presbyterian Women, Operation Homebound, a Photographer and a tech person.
Orv Liesman, Clerk of Session